There was a lot of good stuff in this reading, but there were somethings I didn't quit agree with. For example the first section where Jesus says, "pray for those who misstreat you." I always felt this was a very cercomestancial lesson to live by. The idea of leting somone hurt you hoping that a God will punish that indavidual seems like the kind of pacifism I just can't support. On the other hand if you are the brunt of a joke at work and letting it go for the sake of the community seems like a just aplication. Some acts deem retaliation, while in other situations it is best to turn the other cheek. I think the mark of a mature person is knowing which is which.
I though the second section was rather obscure. From our perspective worring about what to eat and wear is a matter of chouce. I'm sure at the time Jesus was preaching this, people were constantly worrying about wheather they were going to be able to eat at all or have clothes that weren't going to fall apart. I think the message still aplies though, that we should not be so cought up in the material nature of life that we miss the really good bits.
I think the Prodigal Son section really illustraites why christianity caught on so well. Comming from a religion like Jewdaism, where an infaction of the covinant would result in a calamitous disaster, to Christianity, a religion with a lot more forgiveness. This man's son could go out and live a life of sin, and oppon his return, rahter than be ostrisied by his father, he is welcomed back as if risen from the dead. I'm sure that would seem preposterous to many from that time, but I personally prefer that much more than exiling the wayward son, and I think a lot of people at the time did as well.
Thursday, October 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Shay,
I think you bring up a good point about the fact that Jesus' message about clothing and food still very much applies today.
Although the ease of which we acquire food and clothes, the quality and the quantity in particular has changed dramatically from Jesus' time, the fact that they should not be so important to us is still very relevant. And in many ways I think it is so overlooked- all you have to do is see the obesity epidemic we have today in this country to realize the message of Jesus has been lost. People nowadays are so obsessed with food. The majority of people today use food for socializing, for psychological comforting, but not it's intended purpose, to give our bodies their nutrients it needs to function in a healthy way. I agree with Jesus that think people should not worry about food so much.
And when it comes to clothes, it's one thing to want to look clean and presentable, but many people today, use their clothes to prop up their self esteem. Like, by wearing a certain name brand makes you a better/classier person. You can't buy class. Being classy is about the way you act.
People who have the confidence from within, perhaps derived from their faith, don't NEED clothes to feel good about themselves. In that way I think Jesus' message to not worry about clothes is still very relevant today.
Shay,
I think when Jesus said, "Pray for those who mistreat you," he didn't necessarily mean pray that God will punish them. I don't think that's what he was trying to say at all. When I pray for someone who mistreats me, I just pray that they see what they are doing is bad, I don't hope they get run over by a bus. It kind of defeats the purpose of praying if I wish harm on someone.
I do agree with you on the fact that people shouldn't get so caught up in material nature of life.
There generally is a lot of good stuff in the Bible, yes, but the idea of retaliation makes sense. We live in a world where revenge and retaliation aren't words of force, but rather words of understanding. It makes sense to most of us to attack one who attacked us. It's when we start biting the hand that feeds that things start to go down hill.
hey i really enjoyed your post especially when you mentioned that you dont agree with something that was said :) i really enjoyed reading your response
Floentina,
I guess I didn't quite communicate my thoughts in that passage well enough. I feel it's important that we master our fate when it is in our control. If a person is being hurt they should not sit by and pray for their tormentor to see the error of his ways. Rather, they should rise up and defend themselvs. I don't believe in revenge, but I do believe in God helping those who help themselves.
Post a Comment