Friday, October 10, 2008

Reading: Cloud of Unkowing

I found this reading very similar to some of these eastern religions, but also very diffrent. The concept of prayer in this reading is very reminicent of meditation. "And be sure not to think of anything." This is very much in line with the idea of clearing ones mind and getting rid of all that extemporanious thought. This seems like just as much of a catch 22 as in buddism. That is in the attempt to clear ones mind all one will think of is the fact that their mind is not cleared. I think this reading even acknolages this in a later section. "Otherwise it is hard, and a miracle if you can do it." It find it paculuar that this concept of clearing ones mind is so prolific through out the world. Though I can't say I have ever accomplished it, there must be something to be had by doing it or it wouldn't have spread like it has.

Most eastern religions seem to discribe this sort of mind state only in abstract metaphors, but hace very little instruction as to how specifially to go about it. In this reading I found it to be extremely specific and far more blatent with the message it is trying to communicate. "For although it is very profitable sometimes to think of certain conditions and deeds of certian special creatures, neverless in this work it profits little or noyhing."

Over all I was able to grasp this reading far more than the previous few we have studied. I'd probably have to atribute this to the fact that it was writen for a European audiance, and as a result apeals to some basic values that have been injected in our society.

1 comment:

Donny Helmig said...

It's kind of interesting that a lot of the religions we are learning about have very close similarities. Glad you noticed that. I always thought growing up that religions were so different, but in a way can branch in to the same idea. I liked how you mentioned the eastern religion. Good blog enjoyed reading it.