I very much enjoyed this reading. The idea that this is a compilation certainly needs to be taken into acound, and the passages that Stephen Mitchell selected do come together to from a very specific message. That message being that one should, "Hold to the truth within yourself, as to the only truth" (11). That being said I really agree with this perception of things. I always liked that idea of thinking and feeling my way through religion rather than accepting a teaching or reading part and parcel. This isn't to say that I never want to hear what others have to say, or read anything about religion. I simply like to make the final call on what I really agree with, and these passages from Budda are certainly amoung those things I agree with.
"...when you realize that something is unwholesome and bad for you, give it up. And when you realize that something is wholesome and good for you, do it" (10). This seems like such a basic no brainer, and I feel like I have always tryed to stick to this sort of a rule weather I really acknowledged it or not. Though it is a very simple way of looking at life some times I seems so hard. Staying up late doing a paper because I procrastinated on it, is a great example. I certainly knew it would be far more wholesome if I had done the paper earlier, but I chose not to and now I find myself forced to do it in an unwholesome manner, so that I can achive my goal of passing the class.
Friday, October 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think in a way we all enjoyed or got something from this reading. It really is interesting and in a way almost makes me want to practice buddhism. The religion seems so unselfish and common sense. Not to dwell on ideas or information, to find the truth in ones inner self. We all have Budda in us. We just have to let it be. Nice blog enjoyed reading it, had very similar likes about the writing.
Post a Comment