Friday, October 31, 2008

Reading: Maximus of Trye

Now this is a reading I can really sink my teeth into. I not only appreciated the message, but the tone as well. It appeals to me so much because it is written very much in a way that I would argue something. That is if people are doing something that is bringing them faith, why should we be upset with them. Even if what they are doing is against our own dogma, the chance of us changing their mind is slim and the odds of making enemies are high. To me this is right inline with the Buddhist point of view. This point of view is the concept that once you have discovered an idea that is particularly enlightening its fine to share it with people, however one should never try to inflict their opinions on others.

The first section discuses the intangibility of God, and to me this is a topic becomes more of an issue the more theological a discussion becomes. I would be very surprised if most practicing people, of any of these faiths, really give much thought to the “unknowability” of God. However to the theologians of Christianity, Islam, and Judaism this topic is of critical importance. I really feel that this rather ridiculous. It reminds me of a section in Monty Python’ s Life of Brian. In the scene a man is about to be stoned for speaking God’s name, however, in reading the crimes the judge inadvertently says God’s name too. In the end they are both stoned. I think Maximus is trying to express the same concept here, while maintain a bit more seriousness.

I really respect this Maximus fellow. He did an eloquent job of describing the foolishness of persecuting those that do not follow the same faith, but he did it while maintaining a level of civility that I found very refreshing. Especially in today’s mediums of discussion where it seems like the only way to be heard is by saying something inflammatory.

No comments: