A thought came to me as I was reading this passage. If rencarnation ends when a person reaches Nirvan, and escapse the wheal of suffering, are new "souls" ever added to the world? The idea that we live life over and over till we finally reach enlightenment is somthing that I find extremely interesting, but after an eternity wouldn't there eventually be no one left? I realize that this is blaphimous because I am subjecting logic to an illogical universe, but the though still hands in my mind.
Getting back to the reading, I didn't like this one quite as much as the selections from Budda. This reading seemed a little more criptic and hard to understand. "no being has been liberated. Why? Because no Budhisattva who is a true Buddisattva entertains sush concepts as self or others" (35). This seems like one of those paradoxal saying that eastern religions love to distress their students with. The idea that there really isn't enlightenment, because those that are enlightened do not precive themselves as an indavidual therfore there is no one to be enlightend. All of that seems more designed to confuse and confound the readers rather than to empart any kind of meaningful message.
Friday, October 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I agree that this message just creates chaos. Are you really a good teacher if you just confuse your students? I think a good teacher makes you think and then helps you find answers. It seems like this writing never gives you the answer it just confuses the reader.
I'm thinking that when these dudes are enligthened they are either asleep or dead. Either way, I'm sure they pissed off a lot of people who worked for a living! J/k
The whole Buddhist section confused me. If there are no dualities, doesn't letting go of suffering also mean letting go of pleasure? The complexities of their worldplay also troubles me.
Post a Comment