Friday, October 17, 2008

Reading: Muhammad

We have seen many diffrent religions in this class now. Several of those have been monotheistic, but it seems like none take the concept of one God more seriously than Isam. In particular, Muhammad's writings, have one cental theme: One God. This is repeaded through out these readings. "Do not dispise the world, for the world too is God." I tend to appriciate this acceptance of a God that is principally good, but who does creat evil. Often times other monotheirstic religions will blame the evils of the world on another being, typicly a devil creature. The way I see it that is defying the principe of a monotheistic faith. I think this is becuase it is much easier to conceptualise an "all good" God and an "all evil" Saitan than it is to picture an "everything" God. Even I would feel more comfortable placing my faith in somthing that is pure good, but in Islam you must place that faith in a God of "everything" and know that it will turn out alright. I have a lot of repect in that kind of faith.

This reading also deals a lot with the concept of surrender. This is somthing else that I respect the idea of, but could never seem myself doing. I think this concept of surrender is very much like faith. It's the idea that you have to give up something to get something. This is the point of contest for me. The idea of suspending my judgement, and accepting what is being told has never seemed right. This may be because of my age or just who I am, but the notion of faith in or surender to a doctirne without constantly questioning as always seemed alien.

No comments: