Stephen Mitchell describes this section the best, “Short and sweet” (55). It seems like all eastern religions have a hard time exemplifying enlightenment, and Pai-Chang is no exception. However I do think this is one of the simpler explanations. For example he says, “When the time comes, you are awakened as if from a dream.” This is probably the most strait forward description of enlightenment I have read. I know that it is pretentious to ask how one knows when they are enlightened, but it seems like so many people have written so much dodging the issue. I realize that it isn’t something that can be taught, that it has to be found in the self, but then again it seems like there are always so many people willing to tell me how to get to enlightenment.
The influence of Hindu spirituality is also clearly present. “You are simply free from unreality and the delusion” (55). This is obviously rooted in the concept of Maya, that all of existence it the fundamentally the same, and our perception is simply an illusion. I suppose it’s really impossible to argue against this keeping in mind that we now accept the theory of atomic matter. So in the end everything thing really is made of the same stuff. On a spiritual level, ignoring scientific fact for a moment, I do like the idea of a connection existing with all things. I also like the idea that our universe if far more complicated than our meager perceptions can detect.
It seems like a trend is starting to form with all these readings. I can’t say I have read any I completely agreed with, but on the other hand there hasn’t been one yet that I completely loathed. So I guess it goes without saying that like all the others this one I got bits and peaces of things I liked, and things I didn’t.
Shay out-
Friday, September 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow. I didn't expect anyone to be able to write on Pai-Chang. It's such a short section and you happened to write with more content then the book had. You also seemed to make the message of the section more understandable.
Post a Comment