The first section in the reading is one more the most important. "And God looked at everything that hr had made, and behold, it was very good." (5) I know we have already given this section a great deal of consideration in class, but I felt it really resonated with me. It seems like in the modern era it is impossible for religion and science to co-exists, and every moment they are trying to disprove one another. One of the most fervently argued subjects is the age of the earth. Stephen Mitchell did an excellent job of demonstrating the true importance of this passage, and that is that the universe God created was good. Not that it was created in seven days. It seems like this fallacy is all too common in religion, where people focus on the semantics of a writing rather than what the author is trying to say.
Another section I really felt hit home was toward the end of the reading. “I have put truth in your innermost mind, and have written it in your heart. No linger does a man need to teach his brother about God. For all you know Me…” (5) I soundly agree with this. Religion and faith is something some one has to discover for themselves, and it can’t be taught by others. I felt that Maharshi hit on the very same note, in that it simply not possible for a master to show someone else the way. I also like the passage because it shows us that we have every thing we to reach an understanding of God inside. It also see to be admonishing those that would influence others which again I feel is absolutely correct.
All and all I really enjoyed these reading. They really showed me how steeped in dogma so many Christians are in that I have never heard most of these sections, and I feel they have important messages to tell.
Thursday, September 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I enjoyed reading your blog you're well spoken. I agree with your first paragraph, yeah we talked about it in class but with all the hype between critics it's just nice to say that earth... it's good. (period)
Our world is so wrapped up in politics and wars. I wish people would just stop for five minutes and enjoy our lives and this Earth like they deserve. Whenever I have a hard time believing the world is a good place, when
I am depressed over wars going on, or frusterated with all the horrible things going on in our country I think back to the quite moments when I am out camping or hiking. In those moments, in the quiet, away from all the hussle and anxiety of everything...the world is good.
I wish people would realize what has resonated so well with you. The world is very good. It is the people in it that aren't.
Post a Comment