I really like how Einstein discribes the mystical in the first section. He revels in the idea of being awe struck, and the ability for man to be amazed by the universe. "He to whom emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead." This was a really powerfull section, and unfortunately there are a lot of people in the science feild who I think are strangers to emotion. It honestly surrprised me the Einsteins writings were going to be on emotion.
I also liked his discripsion of science. How it is essencially a very primative attempt by man to understand a vastly complex and beautifully universe. He also emphasizes how narrow human perception is. Which I feel is very improtant for us to really understant the space we occupy.
Both this and Emersons readings seemed to focus on a humble recognition of man's insignifigance. Which seems like a very disressing thing when given enough thought. I think my astronomy teacher said it best, "we are all made of star poo."
Friday, November 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Your comments about Einstein's being so emotional are very perceptive, I think. He was deeply effected by small children and liked to be photographed with them. He once stated that as adults, we lose the spontenaity of children and that is a shame.
Post a Comment