In the first section Emerson discuses the odd phenomina where people aford more respect to things that are old. On one hand I agree with what he has to say, "The centuries are conspiratores against the sanity and authority of the soul." I always wondered why people read and study some of the most rediculous things when their only reply is, "well its really old." I think its simply human nature to give worth to old things, if for no other reason, because if they have been around this long there must be some kind of truth to them. I also wonder if durring Emerson's time citing ancient text wasn't a popular way to win arguments. I know that today when someone begins citing statistics I become extremely critical. This seems to fit right inline with what Emerson says, "If therefore a man claims to know and speak of god and carries you backward to the phraseology of some old mouldered nation... believe him not." I dont like how universal he paints this concept though. There are somethings that dispite their age are still extremly relivant.
The third section was also pretty thought provoking. Emerson is really tring to communicate how relavent everything is. I really think he makes a great point. We as humans put an enormous weight on our own affairs, and all but ignore all the other inhabitants of our universe. Its laughable to even consider how a dog would view the universe, but he must even if its in the most primative fation. In the end though people are people and dogs are dogs. I think we should never diliberatly cause harm to another animal, but people get a little silly when their pets are involved.
All and all a good read. I was a little arcane, but I guess that just comes with anything form the nineteenth century.
Friday, November 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment