This was a reading of extremes for me. On one had there were some messages I really liked, but on the other there were some I though much less of. I particularly liked the message about self reliance and determination. "Life can present him with no situation in which he isn’t master of himself” (13). I always felt that this was the best outlook for someone to dictate their lives. Too many religions feel the need to blame a deity for the fortune or misgivings in human life. I much prefers the idea that if something good is accomplished it was through hard work or prudent thought, and if misfortune strikes one should take action rather than wait for an external force to push them along. Some see it as ego, but I enjoy looking and things I have made or accomplished and am proud of my work. On the flip side when something goes wrong in life I know that I’m going to have to work to get through it. I think what it comes down to is responsibility.
There were some points that I found a little less to my liking. “The mature person accepts his situation and doesn’t desire anything outside it” (13). Knowing ones limits and not being overconfident is one thing, but I also feel that having ambition is just as important. Being completely content with ones station is the ultimate stagnation of ones society. Most great actions were those committed by those that were discontent with their surroundings and rose up to change them. I interpreted this as apathy witch is unacceptable in my book.
Thursday, September 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Shay-
There were some interesting thoughts that you brought up in this post. Your comments about apathy and stagnation were fantastic. I also didnt really like that point about the "mature person" either.
Post a Comment